Friday, July 29, 2016

"Don't tell me you're going in there..."



Dave Michener assisted Milt Kahl on this unusual scene. Wart has run away from Kay and is now hiding behind a tree in the forest. Kay seems surprised and shouts: "Oh, ha ha, oh don't tell me you're going in there? Oh, ha ha, why it's swarming with wolves."
Michener was amazed that Milt would be so bold and have Kay point right into camera. He told me: "I couldn't believe it, I had never seen anything like this."
Actually Milt used a similar gesture on Brom Bones during a song sequence years earlier:

http://andreasdeja.blogspot.com/2012/11/brom-bones.html

Still, this isn't an easy way to stage a pose with such crazy foreshortening. But then again, Milt challenged himself constantly in his draughtsmanship.














6 comments:

  1. Mr. Deja - I am planning to feature you on MightyFinePeople.com, a website that celebrates extraordinary people who have done great work in the arts, science, education, public service, etc. If possible, I would love to include some of your animation drawings in the profile piece, so that readers can get a better understanding of your work. I'd be happy to include whatever photo credit and/or disclaimer that you feel is appropriate. If you get a chance, could you please email me at contact@mightyfinepeople.com or respond here to let me know whether this would be OK? Thanks for your time, and for your excellent blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's gotta be a pencil test for that shot. One of my favorite Milt Kahl scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way Kay's facial features all scrunch together when he frowns. Then they spread back to their original positions when his face relaxes. I could watch that all day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent. I would have taken moments like this for granted, but I appreciate being shown how much thought, skill, risk and advancement were involved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for all of the great drawings to flip...the absolute best way to learn...get in there and flip em...so grateful you take the time to share...can't wait to see mushka come together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Brom sequence is amazing from the other post. The rhytms, extreme foreshortening, and how he slightly overlaps the chin with the top knuckle, a brilliant artist.

    ReplyDelete